Had some of Joy's friends in town this weekend- it was a blast. Joy has amazing friends. It was my priviledge to accompany them to a wonderful fondue restaraunt in town; our group consisted of myself and five beautiful ladies. Interestingly, none of her friends have ever been prettier in my eyes than they were on this night. Maybe it says something about setting and atmosphere, but I think it has more to do with the context. The relationships are radiant and infectious...and so remarkably genuine and natural; it was an honor to be a part of it.
Last week someone in Fresno, CA started accessing my debit card. They ran up several hundred dollars in fraudulent charges. I feel so violated! It's scary, since I have possession of my card and haven't given out my numbers or my pin number to anyone. One Biblical principle I really appreciate is the idea that "the world" doesn't offer happiness. At least, not lasting, fulfilling happiness. Ponder that for a moment. Ask yourself, what will make me happy? And then ask yourself, And how long would THAT happiness last? If you're anything like me, you have a propensity to go chasing after "stuff" that wears out and doesn't fulfill for any substantial amount of time. It is just money. It is simple worldy possessions, merchandise, stuff, junk. It will NOT last. One thing about believing in Christ is this: you are accepting a counter-cultural mindset, bigtime.
When I think about somebody charging things on my debit card I get mad. That is essentially the same as them reaching their conniving hands into my pocket and taking away my hard earned money. MY MONEY. And then a realization: it isn't "MY MONEY." In fact, everything I have- every possession, every relationship, every speck of matter- it's all just borrowed stuff. That sense of ownership and entitlement? That's all false. What if this person would have approached me- a complete stranger- and simply asked me for the money. I would have been like, "ummm, NO."
::Sigh:: I'm diving into an area that makes me uncomfortable to think about.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That totally sucks. :( Someone charged our credit card, too--a bunch of dating sites. It was not awesome at all. Luckily the credit card company called us and cancelled the charges before they ever went through, pretty much. It is a sickening feeling.
Post a Comment