Tuesday, May 8, 2012

T-

The trip is on! I've been checking out d-land on google earth; finding our hotel, various restaurants, and reminding myself about all the rides and attractions inside the park. And I've been struck by a new reality- I don't know how to act on vacation. I don't know how to act on vacation. Without my schedule, my watch, and my obligations, who am I? What will define me? It sounds like a silly thing to think about (but, then again, what is a blog if not a place to ventilate silly thoughts).

This is what I predict will happen: for the first full day we are there I will cling to my schedule. I will fret about meal times, bathroom breaks, sleep routines, etc. Then, sometime on day 2, I'll come to the realization that I am a sad robot and that this represents one of the best chances I'll ever have to break free of my programming, even if only on a temporary basis. Somehow, I hope, the "real me" will emerge and my kids will see a new dad. How will I feel to have no agenda with my kids? To be only focused on "being present" with them? I'll keep you posted...I'm curious to find out myself.

 Speaking of curious... About 2-3 months ago a couple guys in fancy suits came by my house. They were "witnesses" from the Kingdom Hall Church down the street. I was preoccupied when they came but interested in what they had to say. So we scheduled an appointment for them to come back. I spent the next week researching their organization- learning about their doctrines, their founder, and their massive publishing operation. I realized what I was doing: I was arming myself for a fight. I told myself I would crush their theology by challenging their translations of the original Scriptures, I would deflate their faith by pointing out that their founder was a convicted perjurer, and then I would ride down Greenhurst in a chariot while the people of Nampa waived palm branches. Just kidding about the chariot, but I was setting some traps for these guests of mine.

 I thought about my intentions and became convinced that I was missing the point. Badly. I adopted a new strategy and planned to make friends. I would invite them in, offer them a beer, and hear what they had to say. That was about 10 weeks ago. Since that time we have basically held a weekly bible study at my house. It's been an interesting experience- they clearly have an agenda in visiting (to convert me) and I have an agenda in hosting them (to make friends).

 My plan was to find some common ground. They believe man is doomed to sin, I believe that man is doomed to sin. We have a natural beast inside of us that makes us selfish, greedy, and wicked. We both believe that taming this beast is imperative. They believe that taming the beast requires what I call "a checklist lifestyle," by which they go about their day crossing off disciplines on a checklist. Visiting me was one of their checklist items. I believe that we cannot tame the beast on our own and that the only hope we have is to enter into a relationship with God. We both believe that the only way we can have access to God is through Jesus Christ and his death, which was an atonement for our sins. But we disagree profoundly on who Jesus Christ is/was. They believe Jesus was a man, "God's first creation." I believe that Jesus is one facet of a threefold God, or the trinity. They believe that 144,000 humans will earn the right to rule over the Earth when God establishes a new kingdom on Earth. They believe that the rest of mankind (besides the 144,000) will either live in God's new kingdom forever or else be abolished. I believe God will establish a new kingdom that will be available to anyone as long as they accept Jesus's atoning sacrifice and acknowledge Him as God.

 Now, I don't have opinion about whether these guys are "saved," or not. I hope they are- they seem like nice guys. However, they have a very strong opinion that I am not saved and that any religion but their own is "of the world." So we are kind of at-odds. At least, they aren't willing to accept me as I am even though I am willing to accept them. To be continued...

No comments: