We're doing this "Living Your Strengths," analysis with our Sunday School Class. I took the test yesterday, and here are my top five strengths:
1) Strategy
2) Input
3) Command
4) Intellection
5) Maximizer
Not very social worker, is it? I was surprised to learn that I am a manipulative, bossy, know-it-all. For some reason Joy wasn't surprised to hear this. Actually, maybe that set is pretty fitting for a counselor...
You know, the purpose of these assessments is always to "help us find our strengths," our "spiritual gifts," and so forth. Inevitably, my results suggest my gifting is in some area in which I'm either a) pretty uncomfortable, or b) uncertain how said attribue can be applied in "the Body." Maybe the point is that we should NOT be uncomfortable exercising God-given talents. There is a great Nelson Mandela quote about this- I can't find it now.
After all, follow-through is not one of my gifts. A classic example of this is my therapeutic card- game, HABITT. It's a brilliant idea, and it's proven really useful for work with boys with behavioral problems. It can be described as cognitive-behavioral/narrative/solution-focused therapy version of "Yu-gi-oh" or "Pokemon" game for boys. (Parents of boys, contact me and I'll get you a free demo-version to "play-test" with your boys) I just can't sit down and FINISH it. I have a beta version, and I have great feedback from colleagues and peers. I don't know what it'll take to get me to just sit down and FINISH. FINISH FINISH FINISH. ::sigh:: having "run" a half-marathon, I shouldn't be surprised/overwhelmed that an endeavor like this is as big as it is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I feel your pain! and know what it's like. You've seen my work room.
Post a Comment