As a father, there are few things as dreadful as coming home from work to a "bad report." Of course, it's perfectly normal and natural for children to act out. And as parents, it is our responsibility to provide reinforcement accordingly. I accept the role...I just don't relish in it.
Sometimes I come home from a day of dealing with mentally ill children and families and it takes every ounce of judgment and restraint for me not to just melt down. Sometimes I do melt down. I don't know if it's because I'm a counselor who tells other parents how to solve behavior problems in the home and I feel pressured to have well-behaved kids, or if every other father hates this role as much as I do?
Parenting is hard. Sometimes I feel like, This 3 year old has total control of how our entire night is going to be. That's a scary place to be. But seriously, sometimes he seems 100% determined to engage in a power struggle. It could be avoided, but only a grave cost. I guess the only thing to do is be consistent, love them every chance we get, and pray that this passes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Amen. even though I am a Mom. 3 year olds are HARD.
Strong willed children become strong adults -- if they get that sacrificial time, love, and guidance you are talking about. You are doing all the right things, and we thank God for you all the time. These are the payback days for us, when God shows us it was worth it.
Post a Comment