Monday, November 17, 2008

Return of the mac!

Everytime Joy leaves (as she did over the weekend) I have an opportunity to be reminded of what a great wife/mom/maid/taxi/chef/friend she is. And how much I need her and would inevitably be crushed beneath the weight of life and parenthood without her.

I can handle the big stuff. My not-so-nimble fingers can change diapers - even diapers filled with Luke's smoldering anal ashes. I can get the boys fed- sometimes even with food they will eat. I can rotate laundry and do the dishes- sometimes even getting them really clean. I can even keep the kids entertained most of the time without endangering anyone's life. I can preserve our precious routines and structure. Yeah, I can handle the big stuff.

It's the "little things," that I can never account for. Examples? Joy always knows to bring wet wipes to the donut shop to remove layers of caked chocolate. Joy always knows to make the boys eat their sandwiches before handing out apples and peanut butter. Joy knows the words to the "clean-up" song. These things aren't a big deal, right?

But they are! They are symptoms of a mother's love, aren't they? When mom isn't home, the void is palpable. And after just a couple of days, it seemed all of us were on edge and our survival was teetering in the balance. At one point yesterday I thought to myself, when did spilled apple sauce become a crisis? But it did, and it was. Like I said, we were ON EDGE.

It became really obvious once Joy came home. Instantaneously, everything was as it should be.

"Little things," hmmph!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Way to give props to your wife dude.

grammasnotes said...

See! That's another reason we thank God for you! Because you have good inside eyes, and because you thank God for what you have. You're an awesome family!