PTL for Spring! Yesterday we took the kids to a nearby park to celebrate the arrival of sunshine and the weekend. We brought Gunner along, too.
I was hoping to throw the frisbee for Gunner but there was another dog at the park so I figured it'd be wise to keep Gunner on his leash. Gunner and I were minding our own business, refreshing our obedience commands, when this little Napoleonic small-breed came streaking at Gunner- off leash, or course.
This put me in a bind. There was no doubt in my mind this dog was not coming to play nicely. I was quite sure Gunner would've disposed of the mutt on his own, had I not subdued him with his choke chain. (Like his owner, Gunner holds disdain for all smaller creatures). It was abundantly clear that a fight was imminent. If only I had that frisbee I could have simply swatted the nuisance! I considered kicking the dog but feared I would kill it. The owner, and his American Flag "dew-rag," was meandering over at the speed of molasses.
I didn't know what to do. Stricken by indecision, I froze. I was holding Gunner at bay and trying to position myself between Gunner and the small whirlwind of fur and snarling teeth. Epic failure on my part, I know. The little dog attacked Gunner repeatedly, leaving his face bloodied from a cut lip. I still kept control of Gunner and did my best to repel the relentless rodent. Gunner was ready for blood, and so was I. Even after his off-leash dog had attacked my on-leash dog (in an on-leash only park) this guy was in no hurry to control his animal. By now his daughters were off the playground and running towards the commotion.
After what felt like an age, the guy grabbed his dog and went away. I issued a 10th degree blank stare. It did little to satiate my craving for justice. Poor Gunner had to be restrained while a pathetic little antagonist "got away with it." I knew exactly how he felt.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment