I hate going to weddings. So ceremonious. So cliche. So long. So expensive. So many reasons to hate going to weddings. Seriously, how could any event be so overthought when it is so underthought? Think about that.
But today, at a wedding, I found my worldview locked in a cage-match against silly romantic ideations. The bride and groom, locked arm-in-arm, both teary-eyed and handsome, were beginning their promises. Hmmph, I thought, promises! What do these words mean, anyways- I wonder if he'll hit her? Will she cheat? Surely no couple who gets married thinks they'll end up in my office, yelling at one another and making enigmatic threats.
But they do. They do with alarming frequency. Yet, as I watched the couple I couldn't help but feel a little inspired; I remembered my own vows. I thought back to my wedding and remembered the feelings, including the feeling of my own tears. And I was reminded, this is how it's supposed to look. It was like I was instantaneously jarred awake by everything marriage is supposed to be. My sullied worldview was kicked in the teeth, reset to where it was before being mired in the muck of mental health counseling.
Amidst all the cliche, everything I despise about weddings, I felt like I was breathing fresh air for the first time in a long time. Love is alive!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yes! God is not dead! Well put, once again!
I'm glad the wedding ended up being "fresh air" to you--at least in the long run! As always, it was great to be with you and Joy and the kids. What great kids you have! (Tim Pusey)
Post a Comment