Sunday, August 1, 2010

H2C Adventure

Here is a link to my next adventure: http://www.hoodtocoast.com/#

If you click on the "play movie trailer" link you can see a really cool clip for the "Hood to Coast" Movie- coming to theaters in 2010.

This is going to be a great adventure. I did some growing up in the Columbia Gorge area and I have always admired the Hood to Coast Relay. It's been sort of a "bucket list" item since I was a high school runner in the area. When the opportunity presented itself, I took it!

Compounding the adventure is the fact that I have joined a team of 12 complete strangers for this event. I literally don't know any of the runners on my team. We met on Craigslist.com, where they were searching for like-minded wackos willing to spend 30 hours in a van, run 15-20 miles, and have fun in the meantime. Hopefully they aren't Hells Angels planning to butcher me. I think I'm pretty safe- runners are generally happy folks. And if they are Hells Angels, they'll have to be pretty tired after running in all that leather.

I've never done this much of a run. I'm assigned legs #3 (3.93 steep downhill miles) #15 (7.25 miles of rolling hills) and leg #27 (5.79 more miles of rolling hills). I've been working to increase my distance. This weekend I ran 2 6-mile runs, including 6 miles of rolling hills. I started doing some 2-a-day runs, too.

One of the things that appeals to me about relay races is the palpable sense of camaraderie. I like feeling like a part of the "running community." Somehow it's different from other types of communities. And there is something bonding about mutual suffering.

Not that it's all bad: last week lots of people were saying things like, "you look skinny," "are you losing weight," and "I didn't realize how tall you are." Alas, the scale reads the same it always reads. Not that I'm obese- but suffice it to say I won't be running shirtless.

I'm planning on taking a camera to document the experience. I'm sure there will be more to come on this event.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Just catching up again on your blog...thought I would respond to what is current for you!
Being from Portland, I had the opportunity in high school to run the Portland to Coast (the shortened version with a team of teens w/2 legs each). Needless to say I probably had the least training since I was talked into participating by a runner friend who said I would do fine! Playing soccer just didn't seem to be enough training...I learned the hard way!
I have always wanted to go back and do the H2C as an adult who understands the importance of preparation! Have fun on your adventure! (I am a little jealous)