Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Wenatchee Marathon 2012

Last weekend I ran in the Wenatchee Marathon. I actually completed the half marathon (13.1miles).

I've been running for several years now- but this was the first race where I really had a firm goal. My previous personal record (PR) for a half marathon was 2:37. That came last year in the Race to Robie Creek, which is considered by many to be "the toughest half marathon in the Northwest." Since the Wenatchee Marathon was billed as "flat" I was hopeful to shave considerable time off my record.

Famous basketball coach Rick Pitino teaches a philosophy where he creates a sense of entitlement in his players. He pushes them so hard they become convinced that they "deserve to win." They wholeheartedly believe they have worked harder and longer than their opponents and therefore it is their right to expect victory. I approached this race with a similar mindset. For all of 2012 I have been disciplined about exercising and watching my diet. As of March 31st, I have run 152.82 miles, swam 17.75 miles, and biked 259.00 miles. All this work translated into me feeling confident and prepared at the starting line. I diligently put in mileage at 5am. I ran in snow. I ran in wind. I ran uphill in snow and wind. I deserved to run a good race.

My BHAG (big, hairy, audacious goal) was 2:00:00. I knew it would take a perfect race for me to hit this time. My most realistic goal was 2:07:00 (30 minutes off my previous PR). I started out on a mission not to overexert in the first quarter of the race. It was hard- I found myself wanting to run 8:30's and it was like being stuck in a giant school of fish. I couldn't get outside and slow down without trampling someone. The pack started thinning after about 2.50 miles. I settled into my goal pace after running each of the first two miles about 30 seconds too fast.

The course was NOT flat. I found it to be more rolling hills than anything else. And it was hot! There was more sunlight than this dome of mine has seen in about eight months! Not much shade, either. At about mile 4.5 I noticed we were climbing steadily. Surprisingly, I felt comfortable with the climb. My legs were used to running uphill! I accelerated up the hill and then I accelerated again down the hill on the backside. I ran miles 5-9 at about 8:30 pace.

At mile10 I was at 1:30:00 exactly. I was right on pace to trot in with just three more 10:00-minute miles and my goal of 2:00:00! But I was feeling tired- the heat was wearing on me. I regretted not spending more time hydrating at aid stations. At only mile 10.25 I could feel my legs breaking down. My lower legs started feeling "crampy" during my push-off. And my neck and shoulders suddenly became sore- I realized I'd been running too tense. I planned to walk for one minute to compose myself and gather for the finish-line push.

I walked my one minute and then started running again. It felt like my legs were made of jello. My hips hurt, my knees hurt, and my ankles hurt. My muscles screamed in protest. 2:00:00 was calling me, but my body wasn't co-operating. Having run a few half-marathons before, I'd actually planned for this moment. I called upon my philosophy of deserving to win. I told myself that I had paid my dues and deserved to get the best of this race. The voice in the back of my mind, the one complaining about the hills and the heat, had to be silenced!

The last three miles of the race were a struggle. I walked for several short periods and always time-limited the walking. It was a constant mental and emotional battle inside me. It was like my will to succeed and my natural desire to rest were in direct conflict. Once I saw the finish line in the distance I felt reinvigorated. The voice telling me to walk was abolished and I turned on the speed for one last burst. I passed about a dozen runners in the last .10 miles. I finished in 2:05:46.

There is something to be said for the "deserve to win" mindset. And it isn't just for running. If I believe I am "redeemed," or purchased out of slavery, I deserve to overcome troubles in my life. In fact, I owe it to the One who purchased me to keep fighting against injustice- not just injustice in my life, but injustice wherever I see it. That sounds very "Captain America," of me to say, but fighting against injustice isn't nearly as dramatic  or as glorious as a comic book (although I am known to wear spandex). Fighting injustice means engaging in the community! Possibly helping a single mother mow her lawn, helping a neighbor shovel snow, etc. etc. etc. Understand that these struggles are OUR responsibility, because we are AMBASSADORS of the One who purchased us from a life of destruction.

I didn't make my 2:00:00. But I put forth an amazing effort and I am proud of how close I came. And I had a really fun time doing it. And I haven't eradicated injustice in my community (not even close). But if I can put forth an amazing effort, I predict I can make a difference and have a really fun time doing it.

2 comments:

mamalynn said...

Wow. Just-- wow!

Anonymous said...

That's a great time. Well done.

Glad you're back after a year...

chad d