Today I ran with Tony the scientist. I knew he was going to ask me about my goal for the run and I didn't hesitate to tell him that I wanted to go for it. For the past two Wednesdays I've run with Tony and we've chased the 5 miles in 40 minutes milestone. Sure enough, he asked me what I planned to run today and I told him I would hit 5 in 40 or die trying!
I ran my first mile in 8:24. I was warming up and it takes some time to get into a rhythym. By the first lap of the second mile we were really moving fast. I couldn't stop thinking about my quest for 8:00's. I knew that I started out with an 8:24 and would need to run faster than 7:55's for the next four miles.
Tony kept telling me to hold something back. He saw me go down in a blaze of glory last week when we went for it. I think he could tell that I wanted to make up the 24 seconds on the very next mile. I listened to Tony and backed off. We held it steady for miles 2 and 3. We were running around 7:45's. Tony told me we were on pace to make it if I could just hang on for two more miles.
After mile 3 I started feeling tired. The wind was not a problem- I was breathing easily. My legs started feeling sore and heavy. I remembered that I played hoops on Monday night and I ran 5miles yesterday. I found myself developing excuses- giving myself permission to fail. But Tony was awesome. He said supportive things and kept telling me not to give up. He told me we were going to make it.
I told myself if I could get through the fourth mile I'd fly through the fifth on nothing more than guts and pride. Sure enough, when we crossed mile 4 it was at 31:47 and I knew an 8min. mile would get me to my goal. When I passed the point where I gave up last week I knew that nothing could stop me this time. We cruised home to finish 5 miles in 39:21- over a minute faster than my previous PR set two weeks ago!
There's something amazing about simple encouragement. I owe a big thanks to Tony the Scientist.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Awesome. I know you'll make your goal this year. Keep it up!
Awesome Jeremy!
And yes, there is something about a little encouragement. The encouragement you gave me the other day really helped.
Keep up the great work of pushing yourself to see just what is possible!
Post a Comment