Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Cat and mouse

"Smokey" perched casually atop my fence. He meandered along the 1-inch wide slats, pretending he didn't notice Gunner. Conversely, Gunner was reclined in a shady piece of grass, totally oblivious to Smokey. Or was he?

This is Smokey's dilemma: in the middle of my lawn there exists feline nirvana. It is a prize even the most cowardly cat would have trouble walking away from: a double-sided sand box, packed with 500lbs. of pristine, virgin play-sand. No cat has ever stepped foot in the box. Our little furry Magellan wanted to inflitrate the box and stake his claim. Only one thing stood between Smokey and his dream: Gunner the mutt.

Gunner has what could be called "strong predatory instincts." In lay terminology, he hates small mammals, birds, and pretty much anything that moves inside "his space." (NOTE: I am learning more and more that Gunner views the entire Milky Way galaxy as "his space.") I don't mean he has a subtle distaste, or a deep-seeded disliking. I mean he would attack and kill any animal smaller than himself.

And so this game of "cat and mouse," has been keeping me amused. Smokey wanders the perimeter of the fence casting furtive glances towards the sand. He never acknowledges Gunner. I attribute this to feline psychological warfare. If Gunner developed an inferiority complex he might easily develop anhedonia and lose his love of patrolling my yard. Gunner lays in the shade and occasionally sniffs the air. This is not just any shade...this is the shade created by the sandbox itself.

Gunner likes to lean his back against the sandbox. At the right time of day, Gunner blends into the shade and becomes almost invisible. Depending on where Smokey is perched, his view of Gunner could be totally obscured. I like to think Gunner is pretty sophisticated. Wishful thinking? I doubt it. After all, consider that he has laid a cunning trap counter-intuitive to every Canine instinct he possesses. He is "playing possum." Soon, he expects, Smokey will be overcome by temptation and will succumb to the notion that Gunner is asleep, or perhaps unconscious from heat exhaustion. Smokey will prance across my lawn with the arrogance of a cat. And then, when he least expects it, Gunner will pounce!

I will keep you posted.

1 comment:

grammasnotes said...

OK, Jer! You've found your niche! The world of psychotherapy may have to give you up one day! You should narrate cartoons! Film the milenial version of "Milo and Otis" and narrate it! Narrate your sons' dreams -- just don't show them till they have sons! But I love it! You're the best!