One of the craziest phenomena in my job is the frequency at which I am "fired." As Medicaid recipients, the clients we service have the right to discontinue services and demand a new provider at any time for any reason. It's not unusual for me to be canned by clients several times per week. Earlier today, I was fired by a client after 1 meeting! One 45-minute session! At first I didn't know how to handle this. Is it personal? Do I stink? Did they find out what I did last summer?
Truthfully, the first ten times clients requested someone different I felt hurt and confused. I'd done a good job- worked earnestly toward the accomplishment of the goals and objectives they themselves identified etc. But now, having seen firsthand how things played out with the next therapist (and the next therapist, and the next therapist, and the next therapist) I realize that they really did me a colossal favor by mercifully dumping me early in the game.
We're talking about mentally ill people, people. Without a sense of humor, I'd never survive. And without some ego strength, too, I couldn't make it. Fortunately, I'm not running short on humor or ego strength. And so, born of my humor, my ego strength, and the wackiness of my clientele, is a list of reasons given for termination:
"He said the 'p' word."
"He's not a Christian."
"We want an LDS counselor."
"We want a Christian counselor."
"He isn't harsh enough."
"He's too harsh."
"He accepted my son's homosexuality."
"He over analyzes everything."
"He's always trying to reason."
"He thinks we need medications."
"I don't know why."
"It's just time for a change."
"He looks just like the guy who raped me!"
"He twists my words around."
"He doesn't agree with me."
"He's keeping secrets."
All we can do is keep on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Good perspective. And good list. Ha! When you can't win, losing them IS a win! Makes sense. And we all keep on.....
Post a Comment