Yesterday I was thinking of the courtside event. I was counseling a boy and his mother came in and announced that his father was having a homosexual extra-marital affair. The boy's ambivalence was palpable- he was devastated. I tried to normalize that (the anxiety, not the homosexual affair), but the kid (and the mom) were really hurt and confused.
What do you say? This wasn't a mental health problem. This was an environmental event: the poor kid's father made a choice that hurt the kid.
That's when it hit me: I now have courtside seats to SIN. I am in a position to closely observe and report on the way sin wreaks havoc on people's lives- usually on children's lives. And I was reminded again of the concept of sin as a hereditary condition. The sins of parents are visited upon children- it's a generational illness. It seems so unfair to me.
Questions of availability have been on my mind lately. What am I available to? What is available to me? Of the things that are available to me, which do I make available? What is available through me?
Ask yourself, what do I have courtside seats to? And who (or what) has courtside seats to me?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Serious heavy Qs, but the ones that matter. The Qs that life is meant to be about. Keep asking, and ask the right Sources. I'll be praying for your direction. (actually have never stopped....)
Post a Comment