Thursday, March 25, 2010

Hearing Voices

Last weekend I took a quick trip to Washington State to visit family. I had the privilege of flying into Seattle on a clear day just before the sun went down. The sun was beginning to set and it created perfect lighting to look out at snow-covered peaks, wild rivers, and mountain lakes. Any attempt by me to encapsulate the majesty of this view would simply be cliche. Suffice it to say that it was breath-taking and awe-inspiring. So riveting, in fact, that my concern about the tiny 2-propeller plane was overridden by my desire to absorb the view into myself, as ridiculous as that must sound.

Spontaneously, my heart entered into a place of worship. I'd been reading C.S. Lewis, and a quote came to mind- something about one of the two ways of learning about the creator was to make observations about the creation. What do spectacular crests, miles upon miles of forests, a pinkorange horizon, and mighty rivers say about you, God? Moreover, what does a perfect ecosystem say about you? And, what dolt could see these things and doubt you? I marvel at your perfection, God. Thank you for putting this here, and thank you for letting me see it today.

I put on some music- I'd created a playlist while I was waiting in the airport. It was some of the more relaxing music that I only listen to on purpose. I accepted the complimentary pale ale, and I just sat in awe of creation. The IPA was "hoppy," and slightly bitter. These hops are another piece of your artistry. Your design is flawless, better than anything I've ever done. Strengthen me, to be a steward of your creation. Let me remember this, and cherish it as I cherish you...

Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted by an obnoxious "chortle." The man behind me was guffawing LOUDLY. How loudly? Louder than my iPod is capable of blocking out. I sighed and contemplated how this man could be so oblivious to social norms. It wasn't a one-time deal, either. This individual was apparently easily amused, as his bellowing laughter continued for several minutes.

I felt my patience setting along with the sun and my enjoyment of the moment. Rapidly, my mood turned so bitter the IPA seemed sweet by comparison. Stinkin' jerk...

And then I "heard" the Voice. I've heard this Voice a few times before. It comes to me inside my mind, like a thought that is so pristine I know it must have been plagiarized. I absolutely know it is not my thought- more like somebody else scrawled on the white board of my mind. It came suddenly, and there was no room for discussion on the matter. The Voice is authoritative, but gentle. And It said, "that person is a part of creation, too."

And that was simultaneously the end and the beginning.

It's easy to value the beautiful parts of creation. It's easy for me to connect to God when I can see him reflected in the perfection of wild. But being a steward requires more than that. Being a steward necessitates recognizing God in all things, including people. This is a challenge for me, and maybe for you.

5 comments:

grammasnotes said...

Good. Good.

Becki Eichner said...

Well said! A lesson here for many. I am thankful that you are so willing to share you wisdom and insight! (and I am still contemplating the courtside)

grammasnotes said...

I recognized that "Voice" last night, not in specific words, but directing my thoughts. Small group. Someone who came from a background opposite to mine, propounding what I felt were ideas that I've seen destroy people immportant to me. At one point he shared his point of origin, and tho it took a while to sink in, "The Voice" reminded me, through the progression of thoughts, that this gentleman and I are both trying to make the trek, up the same mountain, with slightly different views. The ONE at the top sees our stumblings and smiles w love, and "directs our thoughts" in ways that help us climb "smarter" or wiser.... And the beat goes on! Hopefully cheering us and those we touch with the music!

joy said...

I like this one...I'll remind you of this when we're in Walmart.....
:)

lynn halsey said...

Great word, Jer. Love you.