I planned to run to Adalpe Summit yesterday- it's the highest point of the Robie Creek Half Marathon course. It's 8.4 miles of non-stop uphill to get there. But I'd forgotten just how steep the last 1.5 miles is. The closest comparison is either climbing stairs or climbing a ladder. But when you climb stairs/ladders you at least have something to grab with your hands and pull yourself. At mile 8.0 I started asking myself, "why am I doing this?" I'm feeling uncertain about the race- by the time that climb is completed the downhill (which is incredibly steep) just seems to difficult to even think about.
Is it a problem, for me to want to run this race? I'm not hurting anyone else (unless I fall on someone). Somehow that became my measuring stick for whether a behavior is a problem: whether or not it is hurting someone else. I guess it's become a "rule," that I tend to adhere to. Just don't hurt other people, and for heaven's sake don't hurt yourself! Sounds simple, eh?
When an issue like abortion or gay marriage enters the discussion I think the rule still holds up. For example, I personally am NOT opposed to homosexual marriage. Does it seem weird or un-natural to me? Yes, it does. Do I believe the Bible is overwhelmingly clear in opposing homosexuality? Yes. But, does it hurt me if other people consummate their relationships in private settings? No, it doesn't. So there is a conflict here: if I believe a behavior is sin, is it my job to try to eradicate it? In my own life, yes. In my neighbor's life? No. This is a quagmire for many Christians: if a behavior is clearly defined a sinful, should it be illegal? I honestly don't know. I tend to avoid putting a foot down on either side- I don't want to vote FOR the illegal behavior, and I don't want to force my values on anyone else.
Abortion is an even trickier issue. For a long time I tried to apply the same rule: it isn't hurting anyone else. And that's where the grey area comes in: at what point during a pregnancy is a fetus considered "someone else." This is my hang-up regarding abortion- there simply is no way of knowing precisely when a fetus is a "someone else." That said, if a fetus is a person, it is a vulnerable person! It seems like too great a risk to gamble on. I have come to oppose abortion with this thinking: there is a chance that this is murder. Now, I don't know enough to say conclusively that abortion is or isn't murder. I don't think anyone does (though, I expect many of you to have and share opinions on this matter). But I have to acknowledge that there is a chance that it is murder, and that's enough for me to oppose it.
The explanation about why I would feel differently about abortion and gay marriage is simple: it's the rule. Gay people aren't hurting others. Abortion might be.
Thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I'll start out by saying that I'm not sure gay marriage should be illegal, either. However: I would challenge your "rule" about as long as it's not hurting others, it's probably ok. I think there is a lot of gray area there where you may not see obvious damage being done, but where the behavior is actually causing damage. What about the damage to children raised in a culture where anything goes? What about people who may be living a gay or lesbian lifestyle, and no one steps up to say that this isn't God's plan for them--instead passing a law validating the lifestyle that God has condemned. God's laws aren't written just for Christians--they apply to everyone. I think the area where it falls apart is that Christians need to stand up for God's word in love, not in hate. And that is something that I don't see happening much. No wonder so many people see Christians (and as a result, God) as angry, judgmental and out of touch. I think our laws should reflect God's laws as closely as possible. His laws should be our standard, rather than our perception of if something is hurting anyone or not. Good post, Jer--very thought provoking!
Oooh I have lots to say! I have struggled a lot with the gay marriage thing myself. I feel for gays/lesbians because I'm sure they love their partners as much as I love my spouse...so how can we tell them it's wrong? The only thing I've come to settle upon is to treat them how Jesus would treat them: with love. It is not our job to judge others--period! It is God's job. And if they WANT to know my opinion, I will tell them lovingly what the Bible says, and that I believe what the Bible says. Then the rest is God's job. I believe HE will plant the seed in them when the timing is right, and if that is through me, that makes me glad.
As for abortion, I feel like it's just dead wrong. We live in a world where we don't take responsibility for our actions. Why not adoption? Because someone doesn't want to own up to mistakes they've made. They don't want to tell their parents they're pregnant, they don't want to admit to cheating, they don't want to "get fat", they can't afford it, etc. We need to be accountable and hold those accountable for their actions. It's not something that can just be swept under the rug--it's a life, and it's not our job or position to play God and extinguish because it's not convenient for us at the time. That's just not how it works. The verse I always use to back me is Psalm 139:13-16"--You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body, and knit me together in my mother's womb...You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed." (New Living Translation)
Anyway, I don't want to come across as a know-it-all because I am certainly not, but I have, in the recent past, come to really searching the Bible for passages that would teach me exactly what GOD says about these issues. I have had this conversation with other friends and I wasn't quite sure where the verses were...I just knew they were "somewhere in the Bible". So I decided to find them.
And Romans 1:26-32 is pretty clear about homosexuality, which I was glad to find...just so I could say that YES, it definitely IS in the Bible.
Hope I'm not offending. But dang, it's time to stand up and say it how it is, I feel like (or how I feel it is!)
PS--I agree with Shannon about the gray areas--the gay lifestyle IS hurting others--namely, our children, who are innocent and can easily be taught in school that, oh, it's ok to use the women's restroom if you "feel" like you're a girl today, or, "yes" it's ok to explore your sexuality. I don't want people teaching my child that. No way, no how.
And Christian made a point that, although something "just feels right" or "just feels natural", that doesn't mean it's ok. Pedophiles feel like it's "natural and ok" to have sex with young children--and that doesn't make it ok. Alcoholics feel an urge to drink, to make them feel better...doesn't make it ok to drink in their cases...
Good feedback!
I'm not convinced gay marriage is any more harmful than modern day marriage. We've made a mockery of the institue with our divorce rates, open marriages, etc. It's not like homosexuals are ruining our (i.e. the church's)perfect recipe.
Further, just because something is in God's Law does not mean I think it should be American law. If it were a misdemeanor to look lustfully at a woman, our prison system would overload.
It's simply not possible to legislate morality into existence. The latest group to try it, the Taliban, was widely criticized for this mindset.
Somebody smart said, "discipline is the price of freedom." The problem we're running into in this day and age is that we want to have the freedom without the discipline.
I recently saw a bumper sticker that said "if it's not a baby, then you're not pregnant". I feel strongly that abortion is murder. Why would a fetus not be a living being? Why would it not have a soul?
As for gay marriage, I am opposed simply because God is clear about homosexuality. I can't condone it because I believe that God doesn't condone it. I have gay friends at work and I enjoy their friendship very much--but when it comes to approving their lifestyle, I always come back to what God says about it, and I cannot dispute that.
Interesting post!
Here is my disconnect: I believe it is God's Law, but I don't believe that anyone can be required to follow it.
I don't think "the church," owns marriage. While marriage started out as a sacrament of the church, it now has another (separate) meaning. Socially, in America, marriage is the gatekeeper for some rights.
I don't want to "validate" homosexual marriage as a church-ordained, God-approved institution. And I don't think homosexuals want me to. But I do think their ability to access rights/benefits shouldn't be restricted based on their orientation. To me, that smacks of oppression.
Post a Comment