Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Day 79- Spring Begins

Today marks the first day of spring! I celebrated the new season by slogging 5.33 miles in wet & windy conditions this morning. I had a few pals signed up to run with me this morning but they all wimped out. Oddly, that made it easier for me today. I was reminded of my adopted motto for the year: Do hard things! Running at 5am into wind-blown freezing rain was hard. But I kept reminding myself about my desire to be a person who tests himself, who pushes through difficult situations, and who crushes excuses.

I'm slightly off-pace for the 1000. I should be able to make it up with a couple more decent runs this week. I'm still looking forward to warmer weather and earlier sunrises. There is something special about running under a rising sun.

I have been working to understand the doctrine that Jesus Christ was fully God and also fully human. This seems like a pretty pivotal belief in Christendom. I believe it, but I don't understand it. I've said here before that as soon as we expect to understand God we reduce him to a math problem and strip him of much. I don't need to know all the answers, but I need to do everything that I can to understand why I believe what I believe. To this end, Farmer Andy and Dr. Jeff have agreed to start a new book study with me. The book was written by "Athanasius," a forefather of the Christian church who lived around 300AD. Jeff joked that Athanasius may have went to college with Farmer Andy, which I thought was hilarious (and entirely possible). The book is about Christ. I'm excited to read it and will undoubtedly spend many Sunday runs discussing it with Andy and Jeff.

To infinity and beyond!

No comments: