Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Day 100

Almost 1/3 of the way done with the year!?

Today I crossed the finish line on mile 275.99. The math today was easy- 2.7 x 100 = 270 miles to be on-pace. I'm glad to be ahead, but my body is wearing down. I'm noticing the swelling in my legs isn't getting better and I'm starting to have some back pain. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is one of those lingering injuries that won't simply be ignored. Now maybe I've changed my gait and I'm having pain in all kinds of weird places. I'm also getting slower. I'm attributed some of my speed issues to running outside and all the problems that entails- (i.e. running on chopped-up pavement in the darkenss with wind and cars that refuse to yield).

In fact, I'd like to take this opportunity to shout-out to the driver of the inconveniently large, white, ford F-250 crew cab truck who almost killed me this morning on Powerline. I'd also like to thank those of you who were so considerate as to flash your bright lights on us today- especially those of you who kept them on as you approached us for half a mile. When you do that I cannot see anything and I would be safest to just curl up in a fetal position and wait for you to pass.

Other than those incidents, Justin the paramedic and I had a nice run today- 6.51 miles at 5am. Justin is a good running buddy- he's reliable and his stories are unbeatable. Today he told me about saving a 3yo girl's life. He got an invitation to the kid's birthday party with a note from the parent thanking him. That must have felt pretty amazing. I'm on cloud-9 when I help a kid navigate high school and make it to graduation. I can't imagine how it feels to rescue someone.

Can't wait to crush 8 miles this weekend at Farmer Andy's. Hopefully the wind goes down and the temperature goes up!

Oh yeah, my Garmin Forerunner died this week. RIP, Garmin. You did your job well and we logged many, many miles together.

No comments: