Another 7.66 miles chipped away. I'm slowing down- today it felt like I was running in quicksand. Several walk breaks included, also. I'm having some serious doubts about the quest for 1000. I just don't know if my legs will hold up. And it's maddening that spring is finally here and my legs are shot and my times are getting slower and slower.
This morning on my way to work I saw it. It was on the rear hatch of a white Toyota Prius. The bumper sticker simply read: "Do hard things." Succinct, direct, and simple. I felt a little galvanized. If running 1000 was easy it might not be worth doing. The sweetness of completion will be the aftertaste to bloody nipples, blackened toenails, blistered feet, swollen knees, chaffed everything, and creaky ankles. It will be the chaser to hours and hours alone on dusty roads. I imagine I will hit 1000 unceremoniously- probably alone, probably in the dark, and probably with ice cold hands!
Over the weekend I watched the Hood to Coast movie (again). If you ever want to be inspired to run I recommend this documentary. You will laugh. You may cry. And you will realize that everyone is running towards something or running away from something. I believe I am running towards a goal...but maybe it's all a delusion. Maybe I'm just another wacko who uses running to mitigate my own madness! I suppose time will tell.
Regardless, I want to finish this. Finish. FINISH!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love it - "running to mitigate my own madness" Brilliant. And rings so true.
Hoping that your pain eases and that you have more galvanizing moments. Doing hard things is a journey worth taking...
Post a Comment