Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 133

Today I had one of the worst runs of my life. It was a 7.52-mile loop with Travis. Sounds simple enough, right? Wrong.

The first disaster occurred on some back road in Nampa. I basically tripped on a giant hump in the road. The asphault was totally uneven and I kicked the road with my toes as I was striding forward. This sent my balance forward while my legs stayed behind me. I started flapping my arms like some kind of a circus clown and did everything I could to prevent skidding down on my chin. It lasted about ten strides before I finally regained my balance. I didn't fall. But I already knew I'd be sore in some new places after this stunt. Travis, my trusty running mate, had a hearty laugh as he watched me escape death with the deft agility of a mountain goat!

The second problem was that I suffered a SEVERE migraine headache yesterday. The kind of headache that gobbles up cluster headaches, tension headaches, hangovers, and any other type of headache. I defy any of you to claim to have a worse headache than teh headache I had yesterday. Pain level was an 8/10 for about 4-5 hours. I puked from the nasuea about 15-20 times. At one point I heaved and heaved and heaved to produce approximately 1 ounce of yellow bile. Good times. So I was a bit dehdyrated at the start of the run- and my abs were sore! After my near tumble I felt like I had zero energy. It was like whatever reserve I had was spent trying to avoid sliding face first on ashpault. From mile 3 to the end I was running on empty.

The third problem was the bugs. I swallowed a few of those little black gnats. They were everywhere. After teh first one I was feeling something in the back of my mouth and on my throat. I was spitting and spitting and spitting and convinced myself that it was nothing. But then, each time, I put my fingers in my mouth and produced ANOTHER little insect. It was gross. I got to laugh at Travis when he ingested some type of bug that was obviously bigger than a fly. I teased him and said it was a locust! He gagged hard before accepting that whatever it was had already been lodged deep inside his stomach. Hmmm, breakfast!

But the grossest part was when I came home and took a shower- I noticed in the mirror that I had a little dead bug resting inside my eye. It was unpleasant- but I think I'd rather see them in my eyes than in my mouth.

Still, a bad run beats no run. I'm at 360.9 on the year.


No comments: