Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Call me a glutton for punishment- I have obtained a number in the 2009 Race to Robie Creek. (http://www.robiecreek.com/)

This race is billed (by itself) as "the toughest half-marathon in the Northwest." But what I hear seems to support that this is a brutal race. In fact, Pol Pot once commented that the race was "too hard on people." Joseph Stalin, vacationing in Ketchum at the time, was overheard stating he wouldn't wish this run on his worst enemy. Ann Boleyn chose execution over running this course.

So I'm changing gears in training. Less emphasis on cycling and more emphasis on getting my distances up. I ran 5 mi in just over 43 min on Sunday. Tomorrow I'll probably run 5 miles again. The race is in just 9 weeks- so I really can't afford to miss any long runs. I'll hopefully (somehow?) find time to make it to Boise to run on some hills between now and then. The race starts with an 8-mile ascent and then a steep 4-mile descent concluded by a flat mile. I haven't hit double digits in miles since the City of Trees half marathon in October.

Got a nice compliment from a coworker yesterday- she said she could tell I'm losing lots of weight. (Oddly, the scale has stubbornly refused to budge for several weeks now!) I think the total weight may be the same but the composition and distribution of the weight has changed alot. I think some of my clothes are getting a little looser. I should probably think about adjusting diet, now. Sounds like fun, right? But imagine what losing about 10-20 pounds would do to mmy run times!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

YYYYYYEEEESSSSS! I did a little, okay, loud cheer for you! I almost called you Monday morning to tell you to get online and try for it. Woo-hoo! You're going to love it and HATE it!
So excited for you! Way to go!

Sarah said...

Oh, and work on hills. Lots and lots of hills. lol ;)