Saturday, February 28, 2009

ographists

We are having a girl. The ultrasoundographist said she was "100 percent sure" it isn't a boy. That's the good news. The bad news is that the doctor pointed out some off-coloration of the bladder and intestines. This could be a symptom of cystic fibrosis, another chromosonal defect, or some type of viral infection. The viral infection is most harrowing at this point due to an outbreak of fifths disease at Joy's school. Apparently fifths disease can be fatal to unborn babies. The plan is to pray and monitor.

Otherwise, the highlight of the doctor's visit occurred during one of numerous extended waits. We were waiting for Joy to get some blood drawn to see if she had the antibodies for fifths disease. Finally, the blooddrawgraphist hobbled her way towards us. My immediate assessment was "this poor, elderly woman obviously suffers from dementia and has wandered off." I paid her no heed- my job was to provide moral support and shatter the Tetris record on my cell phone.

Admittedly, I was slouched way down in my chair. With each passing decade I felt my body slip lower and lower into my chair. Perhaps this was a symoblic measure of passing time? Or perhaps I was on the brink of literally dying of boredom? In any case, it's worth mentioning that I was wearing a pair of bright red running shoes. My sizable feet could only have looked like traffice cones in the middle of the wide hospital hallway. Nevertheless, this poor old gal walked right into my feet and proceeded to tumble in actual slow motion!

I'm actually not sure if she fell in slow motion or if time was just standing still as a result of all the waiting. I was snapped back to reality when she kicked my foot. I looked up in time to see her bent forward at the waist (approximately 45 degrees) and struggling to keep her feet up to speed with the rest of her. She lumbered forward and went (mercifully) into another office. She went out of sight and I never saw how it ended. I looked over at the couple sitting next to me- we all erupted in laughter.

The slow-mo fall is always an instant classic. This was a good one, but not the best. The best slow-mo fall ever was performed by my dad when he fell down while trying to skip a rock on the water. He went down an entire embankment. Another notable slow-mo fall was an old lady at a bowling alley who didn't have bowling shoes on.

Also, I got some new shoes. Robie Creek will never be the same!

2 comments:

lynn halsey said...

Hilarious! But how did she do at drawing Joy's blood?

Jeff and Bethany Stockett said...

Dad's fall was legendary. Of that, there is no doubt. It literally took like a full minute.