The Punisher was always one of my favorite Marvel Comic characters. He didn't have a super power and he wasn't a mutant. He was simply an ordinary man who was inspired by tragedy (and the ensuing rage) to take matters of justice into his own hands. There have been numerous incidents in my story where I felt powerless and enraged- usually after I hear about or witness a grave tragedy or injustice.
This justice system of ours is broken. I'd be lying if I said I don't fantasize about "going vigilante" sometimes. In terms of creativity and ingenuity I think I could take the Punisher. But in terms of walking into a nest of 400 gunmen equipped with fully automatic firearms...well, he edges me there. He probably looks better in full body spandex, also (but this is debatable!). But I think I have greater injustice and more social problems on my radar than the Punisher ever imagined.
Secretly, I have an "alter ego" persona. Sometimes I indulge and dream about "letting him out." Maybe someday, through writing/blogging/storytelling, I'll eventually set him free. For now, he's inside me, plotting revenge through cunning schemes and vicious insight into the criminal mind. But watch out once the boys are old enough for PG-13 bedtime stories...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Please let me sing this in the background if you ever become the Punisher...
"Boricua, morena, boricua, morena
No more rolling with an entourage
Unless it's Pun and the Terror Squad
Punisher, Punisher, Big Punisher
Punisher... Joe and Big Punisher
Boricua, morena, boricua, morena"
Post a Comment