On Sunday I went with some friends to run on the actual Robie Creek course. We went three miles up and three miles down. The course was steeper than I remembered- it's harrowing when one's nightmares have actually underestimated reality. I was really sore yesterday. And I'm even more sore today. After I "bonked" on a 5 mile run this morning I started having doubts.
I feel lousy. My eyes are a mess, my ankles ache, and lately when I exercise I feel absolutely ravenous. It seems like I'm not eating enough. Could that be possible?? About 1-2 miles into today's run I felt sick in my stomach- it was like I was simply out of gas. I talked to a friend who is studying nutrition- I volunteered to be "the human guinea pig." I told her I'd eat whatever she suggested if it would make running easier. She advised me to use a website to record EVERYTHING I eat for the next three days. Stay tuned...
I'm becoming more interested in nutrition; somebody I respect greatly suggested meat was never meant to be a "main dish" and that fruits and vegetables should be considered the primary foodsource and that meats are intended as a "side dish." I thought this was an interesting paradigm shift. My dad had a heart attack at 50. Granted, he put hard miles on his body. But his father, a Nazarene Preacher, died of a heart attack at 65. This doesn't bode well for my ticker, does it?
If you're reading this post you can do me a favor today. Actually, you can do me two. Firstly, say a prayer that my eye gets better. I'm becoming convinced that the doctor has launched a plan to "nickel and dime" me to death with co-pays. Every time I visit him it costs me $20. Now that I've seen him 4 times in under a week, I'm getting frustrated. And my eye doesn't feel much better.
Secondly, drop me a line on this blog. Many of you comment regularly, and to you I'd like to say "thanks mom(s)." But the rest of you, quit lurking and reveal yourselves. I want to know who is out there. I don't need compliments or anything, I just want to know who my audience is. (I'm assuming my mom and Joy's mom haven't checked this blog 13,000 times by themselves).
So, as an incentive to comment, I'd like to propose a sweepstakes. Comment, and suggest a topic for a future blog post, and I'll tackle it. Soteriology? Check. Gay marriage? Abortion? Check check. I'm eager to see who pops up, and what they're interested in hearing me pontificate about. (assuming anybody wants to hear anything!)
Best!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Ok, fine-if you insist. I'm a long time lurker (before you even started this blog!!), first time commenter.
Your posts are great and I've told you that you should seriously write a book one day. Not being a parent yet, I really enjoy the stories of your kids. It's not every day you get insight from the father about raising children. You serve as a great role model Jeremy-keep up the good work and blog more about them! :)
I check everday for a new post! Love it- I am terrible about commenting- on all the blogs I read.
I agree with Anonymous: stories about the kids are both a hoot, and inspirational. Besides that, how about your take on yesterday's sages, and who you think they might be. Do they speak to our lives today?
I can boldly say I check your blog regularly. But you probably already know that. And, I'd love to hear you talk about abortion, gay marriage, and your thoughts on spanking. Christian & I have recently become great friends with a new pastor in town and his wife. They, too, have a 2 1/2 year old named Noah, and she is also pregnant with a girl right now. They are quite liberal and we have had many conversations about different things--respectful conversations for once! But we disagree on spanking and other things. They have caused me to re-think the way I see things and to do a lot of thinking in general. So--if you have time, what are your thoughts?
Hope your eye gets better. I can ask Andi if you want. She's pretty much an expert when it comes to eyes.
Jeremy ~ I came across your blog on Melissa's blog. I look forward to your posts and how insightful you are in regards to the world around you. It is always a good thing to know your students are successful and working to make a difference in the world.
I am amazed at your writing ~ didn't see much of that on the basketball court ~ and would love to hear your insights on the "ordinary" time in our lives ~ you know like parenting, working, napping, running ~ and how you see those "ings" impacting your life.
Keep up the good work Jeremy. Hope the eye gets better! I always knew I would be one of your fans.
Becki (Mrs.K) Eichner
Mrs. K! Wow, I did not see that one coming. It's great to hear from you...man, do I owe you a debt of gratitude.
Thanks, for always.
Jeremy
I may be the worlds worst commenter....but i really do enjoy reading your blog...it always makes me think...see ya tomorrow
I've commented before, but thought I'd say hi again. Really enjoy your writing and love the fitness updates most. It's encouraging to read about a friend going through many of the same physical struggles and challenges, esp. as Steve and I are planning to run our first 1/2 marathon this summer. Good luck w/Robie!
I lurk...Chad mentioned your blog a long time ago, I started reading and often pass it over to Luke. We die laughing. Wish I had your storytelling skills...
Here's a topic. I'd love to read a whimsical, creative verbose post about your e.d. Keep me laughing!
Chad
I comment from time to time, but I check in at least 2-3 times per week. I always look forward to your posts. I've laughed out loud and been moved to tears...I'm proud of you, little brother! :)
Laughing out loud and being moved to tears is so true. I look forward to your blog and love reading your thoughts.
You make me think deeper and through various topics more than I ever have.
I will be one of the first in line to have you sign my copy of your book. :)
I will be thinking of a topic. Not sure if I can come up with one. Everytime you write it makes me think. So I just look forward to what might be here.
Probably the most profound thing I have heard from you is about what you said to the Hogans about grief. It is still with me and I think about it often.
Oh so there it is. Topic. Grief. All and any aspects about it. And possibly the grief that those of us who take care of others in their time of tragedy and the grief we have because of it. Does that make sense?
Keep it coming Jeremy.
Praying you eye is better now!
Sarah
I am not a consistent reader...but once I pull up your blog I end up starting where I left off and reading every entry to the present because I enjoy your writing so much!
I appreciate your insight on situations with work. I have a degree in a similar arena but am not spending much of my time thinking about those things since I am home with my boys full-time. You always leave me with something to process and I like that.
I also really enjoy hearing your perspective as a dad...I often read your posts to Shawn so we can talk about what you observed or a creative idea that you had in playing with your boys!
Exercise and nutrition are great too though...
really any controversial topic is bound to be well discussed in whatever you write!
Thanks for letting us all tune in!
Post a Comment