One of my supervisees at work passed away last night. He had blood clots and went for surgery last night. There were "complications" and he didn't survive the procedure. For some reason, this loss strikes me as particularly sad. But losses like this are always sad.
I think grief is the most complicated and tricky of all the human emotions. Even love is more predictable than grief. Love requires maintenance. Grief requires nothing. People actively try to rid themselves of grief for years without success. It reminds me of an invasive species of fish- it moves in, it steals resources from more desirable species, and you cannot get rid of it...not without being very deliberate and purposeful. In that regard, grief is the opposite of love. You fight to nurture love, to maintain it, to keep it alive. You have to fight against grief- to keep it under control.
I know grief. I know feeling sad and depressed. But then again, at least I'm still alive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment