Today I added a new character to my list of runners: my son! He really wanted to get up and try running with his Dad today. I woke him at 530am- he was hard to wake and I considered just leaving him. But I saw he had set out his running clothes on his floor before he went to bed and I knew he was really looking forward to this.
I expected him to fade around the 1 mile mark. Actually, I told myself that I'd be lucky to get to 1 mile before we had to stop. He chatted the ENTIRE time. He told me facts about the sun, the moon, and the solar system. He wondered aloud whether there was an end to the universe. He wondered aloud what would happen if the sun ever did burn out. When he wasn't talking about the planets he would say, "this is easy!" After the second lap I asked him how many laps he wanted to run today and he casually said, "hmmm about 90." I told him that would be over 20 miles and he said, "cool Dad."
He made it 10 laps before announcing he was ready to go home. We jogged home for a grand total of 2.96 miles today- a new PR for him. And a proud, warmed heart for me. After I dropped him off at home I still had a little time so I ran back to the track and pounded out a couple of fast miles to get to 5.19 on the day. My speed and distance were compromised today, but it was a compromise I'm happy to make. When I left for work I told him I was proud of him and he beamed.
I'm at 618.91 on the year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment