Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Day 8

The gym is crowded. Every year the rec center gets really busy from January to mid-February. Then things go back to normal. I found myself feeling resentful towards all the newcomers. They get in the way. They don't know the norms and expectations. This year I had to remind myself that every one of those people is one of me. I "started out" too. I was a newcomer who felt intimidated and out of place. I felt judged by fitter, healthier looking people. But I kept going. And now I keep going. My job is to encourage these new guys to do likewise- to keep coming. That's the only way to stop being a newcomer. Instead of being off-put by them, I can re-frame my own thinking and actually be encouraged by them. I can be inspired by them. And I can encourage them, too!  

I've been much more careful about my eating so far this year. I've been un-disciplined twice out of the 8 days so far. Once I went to watch a football game and at a burger and fries. The other one was New Year's Day. Both instances were situations where I gave myself permission to eat unhealthy.  I have to remember that when I give myself permission to eat badly I am compromising my goal. It isn't the end of the world if I don't make my goal. And it isn't the end of the world if the goal takes waaaaaay longer than I want it to. But I have to take ownership of the fact that MY choices are what determines my progress. Not my genes, not my parents, not my kids, etc. etc. etc. The only thing that stands between me and accomplishment of my goals is myself and my own thinking errors.

I'm shamefully weak. My muscles are not used to this type of exertion. I've been sore every day this year. I know from experience that this will get better. In some ways I wonder if I'll miss being sore. It's a pretty potent reminder of my goal when every time I lift food to my mouth my arms scream out in protest. That's a lot of screaming! I've been very fit before and I know I can do it again- I just have to persevere!


No comments: