Brace yo' self, fool!
This week I volunteered to "teach" in Sunday School. But the joke is on them, really, because my intention is to present nothing but questions. It'll me the most Socratic Sunday School lesson ever.
My topic is going to be "ventriloquism." Specifically, I want to flesh out how God uses "foolishness" to speak to me. I've long held that Shakespeare understood a Biblical truth far before the rest of us: the significance and utility of the "wise fool," archetype. Could it be that an omniscient God would communicate to people through "dummies?" This would be quite a curveball, wouldn't it?
Like the Jews in Christ's time, I expect God to communicate to me through prestigious experts- scholars who know the scripture far beyond my own level of comprehension. I expect to find God in law-abiding, upright folks. I expect excellence, magnificance, and awe when God communicates to me.
Indeed, I'd be comfortable considering myself a "student," of these types of teachers. So the stage is set for my conundrum- I'm not in charge of who God selects as a mouthpiece. Historically, God has used unlikely messengers- after all, it's a pretty unlikely message! An all-knowing, all-powerful being that actively pursues a relationship with ME?
To the Jews (and the Greeks) the cross was a symbol of foolishness. They were looking for God's power in all the wrong places, and they missed it! But to the believer, this so-called foolishness is the unifying summation of God's Power!
O that I could have eyes and ears to find God, especially when he is reflected in places I'm inclined to dismiss. That I would have the faith to believe and recieve God's bliss, and that in my duty to widows and orphans I would never fall remiss.
Brace yo'self!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment