Ran 5mi in 45:23 this morning. Ran relaxed, and could have pushed harder. My goal for the Sawtooth is to run sub-9:00's for my first 10K and then right at 9:00's for the second. One challenge is retraining my body for different kinds of running- to run faster and harder but not for as long. During Robie training I got into the habit of meandering along at a comfortable "talking" pace. Another element of Sawtooth training will be recovery- I have to run 10K twice in one day. I might try doing some 2-a-day runs to get my body used to faster recovery? Another challenge is running at elevation. No training for that, I'm afraid.
This weekend was a great weekend. Textbook recipe for a classic weekend, actually. We did a little bit of everything- I even managed to play some bball for 90 min. on Saturday. Also, I repaired a few sprinkler problems, and together somehow we: started planting the garden, got the lawn mowed and edged (thanks, sweetheart!), took the boys to their soccer games (9am and 2pm), got ALL the laundry done, went to a playground with the kids, went to church and Sunday school, got shopping done, bought a new ottoman, did several loads of dishes, washed the car, watched a netflix movie, sent the boys to the circus with Grandma and Papa, and nabbed a quick dinner together. We rewarded ourselves with a fancy coffee from Cost Plus (which I am now drinking in a clean, quiet room). It was a good weekend. Conspicuously absent from our weekend: television.
In retrospect, I'm amazed I didn't have any weird or obnoxious encounters in the community. It seems like the loonies are drawn to me like a magnet sometimes but this weekend was exceptionally sane, excepting our insane schedule.
You know, when all the kids are napping or occupied, and it's just my wife and I, it comes back into focus how much I love her. Yesterday we were working in the garden together and it felt like the "old days" (before kids). Don't get me wrong- I have never lost sight of how much I love her; but this weekend it was like many of the distractions were peeled away and herself was allowed to shine through, as if to say "I'm still here!" It was a gift.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
:smile:
Post a Comment