Today I ran a lonely 6.1 miles. The lights were out in parts of the track and it was like running in the dark. Any change in scenery, even the removal of all scenery, can help break-up the monotony of running around an indoor track. 30 laps around plain white walls is enough to drive anyone crazy.
Today there were remarkably few people at the Rec Center. I suspect the iced roads kept some from driving at 5:00am. The track was barren. Since the beginning of the new year it's been absolutely packed at the Rec. It's like this every year- new exercise enthusiasts show up with new shoes and fancy clothes. They exercise hard through the first couple weeks of February and then vanish.
There exists an informal code of conduct on the track at the Rec. While the lanes are clearly marked, the code supercedes designations and everyone manages to get along (as long as they adhere to the code). The delicate balance is thrown off when the new year's crowd shows up. For the past two weeks running at the track inside has been like playing inside a game of "Temple Run." I'm swerving in and out and dodging obstacles left and right. It wouldn't surprise me if I had to slide under something or leap across a ravine!
That made today's solitude seem all the more profound.
I'm at day 11 and I have run 36 miles. Will I be one of the eager enthusiasts who flames out in mid-February? I don't think so. But do I have the fortitude, the determination, and the flat out stubbornness to do this for 354 more days? I am not sure. Already I am reminding myself of my personal mantra: "Do hard things."
This is going to be hard- I knew that when I started. It's too early to start planning my "victory lap." But it's not too early to note that some type of celebration will be in order if I can stick with this. Any suggestions?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My suggestion: make a trip to see us with all the kids in tow!
Post a Comment