Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 154

Back pain. That is my world today. I don't know if I slept on it wrong or if my body is rebelling against all the running. It feels like a sharp, searing pain behind my right hip and shooting up and down like bolts of electricity.

It hurt at the beginning of my run this morning. By the end of 6.6 miles it felt downright horrible. I ran 7.50 on Friday and again on Saturday. I'm at 423.81 on the year- plan is to continue stacking up mileage while the weather is nice.

Felt convicted Sunday for being impatient. The phrase "when the time was full" or "in the fullness of time," is found several times in the Bible. Somebody smart pointed out that impatience is basically another form of selfishness. I knew instantly that this was true and I was reminded of something I read in Blue Like Jazz where Donald Miller confesses to living as if the entire universe is a play and he is the main character in it and everyone else is supposed to play a supporting role in his story. It hit pretty close to home. I get impatient when I feel like my plans, my agenda, my needs aren't being respected. Thinking and acting this way totally prohibits me from caring about 1) what is happening in the "here and now" present moment, and 2) what other people might need from me, and 3) what God is calling me to do. So, in review: when I am being impatient I am not being the kind of person I want to be (let alone the type of person God created me to be).





2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Jeremy!! I love reading about your perseverance.
I was wondering you tried any physical therapy or massage therapy since you started your running goal? Working your body so hard and the same way over and over might be in need of some TLC and maintenance.
There are some really great physical therapist in the Treasure Valley that work with athletes like you who have such specific goals in mind.
Just a thought... sometimes they can help stretch, relax, and/or heal the muscles, tendons, and ligaments that are pulling us apart from such strenuous use of our bodies.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Jeremy said...

Hey Sarah thanks for the comment!

I know massage and physical therapy would help. The problem is that I don't have any money. I need a big corporation to sponsor me!

Hope you are well!