Today Justin the paramedic and I continued "barefoot Wednesday." This is the day each week where we start out running in our "minimalist" shoes and work our way up to longer distances. I've noticed that my feet and calves are getting more comfortable in the lighter shoes. Today we did 1.5 miles in the minimals and then switched back to regular shoes. For the first half mile in the regular shoes it felt like I was running on pillows. It made me re-think the minimalist concept. But already I feel tightness in my back and soreness in my knees and hips that I fear may come from "heel striking." It's impossible for me to run properly in big cushion-filled running shoes. I tried today and found the padding was getting in the way. There's too much "drop" from the heel of the shoe to the toe of the shoe.
We beat today's crazy rainstorm by about 2 hours. I dig the gray skies and wet weather- but not for running at 5am.
I have run 76 miles this month and today is only the 19th. I'm on pace to shatter my all-time biggest month in terms of milage. I started the month hoping to reach 500 by the end of the month. Now I'm at 486 and wondering if 520 is a better goal.
On a personal note: I'm feeling very "restless." I can't say I'm "bored," because I'm always so busy; but I am feeling increasingly unsettled. I think maybe I need a new event on the calendar or something to keep my mind stimulated. I'm always flirting with the idea of writing something. But I just can't (or won't) carve out the time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
With feeling "restless" or bored...whatever you do... DO NOT pick up your entire life and move across the country. It's overrated.
Just saying... ha!
Glad you're enjoying the new non-shoes. I've learned from my own experience, research, knowledge from a surgeon that the more cushion we have under our feet the worse the rest of our body will feel.
Hope you are feeling better.
Say hi to Joy for me. Miss you all. :)
Post a Comment